Black Lives Matter. Never have these words been more relevant, important, and compelling. These words are a call to action, a challenge to the status quo, a demand for change. Here is how the BLM website describes the movement:
We are expansive. We are a collective of liberators who believe in an inclusive and spacious movement. We also believe that in order to win and bring as many people with us along the way, we must move beyond the narrow nationalism that is all too prevalent in Black communities. We must ensure we are building a movement that brings all of us to the front.
We affirm the lives of Black queer and trans folks, disabled folks, undocumented folks, folks with records, women, and all Black lives along the gender spectrum. Our network centers those who have been marginalized within Black liberation movements.
We are working for a world where Black lives are no longer systematically targeted for demise.
We affirm our humanity, our contributions to this society, and our resilience in the face of deadly oppression.
The call for Black lives to matter is a rallying cry for ALL Black lives striving for liberation.
The Billy Board has committed to the following action steps:
- Deepen the relationship between the Board and the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion committee to bring a unified voice on these issues to our community.
- Increase Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC) leadership throughout the organization (Board, Gathering Council, committees).
- Listen to and learn from the lived experiences of BIPOC Billys in an effort to make systemic changes grounded in those realities.
- Provide education for the Board on anti-Blackness and racism so we can be well-informed stewards.
- Provide education and support to the Billy community on issues of racism to educate and challenge all of use to explore our own racial issues. This will help create a more informed, welcoming, and supportive base from which to create greater BIPOC participation in the Billy community.
This is a start, a first step. There will be many steps along this path. We ask and invite you to share with us any ideas, connections, or expertise you may have to help us live up to the challenge that is before us. Please contact the Billy office or any of the board or committee members listed below with your questions or offers of support.